Can an Air Purifier Help You?
We strive to be the Air Purification Experts and our goal is to help you find the right solution for all of your indoor air quality concerns. We’ve created a series to help answer the most commonly asked questions such as:
- How does an air purifier work?
- Can an air purifier help you?
- What are the different types of air purifiers?
- Does the filter really make a difference?
- What to consider when selecting an air purifier. Plus a handy Shopping Checklist
How An Air Purifier Works
In the simplest terms, an air purifier starts with a fan to circulate the air plus a filter, to remove particles from the air. When you add in the different types of air pollutants, filter options, efficiency and noise ratings and varying ways to measure effectiveness, the selection process seems a lot less simple.
To Put it Simply: Air Purifiers Clean the Air
Air purifiers clean your air by passing it through a filtering process that is targeted at removing one or more types of pollutants—dust, allergens, odors, chemicals, and so on.
Basic Purifier Air Flow
The purifier's fan circulates air around a room, pulling the dirty air towards the unit. The fan pulls the air directly through one or more filters which capture the allergens. The resulting stream of pure air is returned into the room.
Can an Air Purifier Help You?
We've compiled a list of the most common concerns where air purifiers are able to help.
- Allergies and Dust. Most of the air purifiers you'll find on Air Purifiers America do a particularly good job with this category of concerns.
Tip: We recommend a purifier with a HEPA filter for most allergy and dust concerns.
- Pets. We commonly talk to customers who are looking to simply have cleaner air or to relieve the dander and odor concerns that come along with the joys of pet ownership.
Tip: We recommend a purifier with a HEPA filter for dander allergy concerns. For pet odor issues, look for an air purifier that uses activated carbon filters.
- Mold and Germs. Many people are quite sensitive to mold, or concerned with other microbes that are in their air. We sell units that are effective at trapping mold and germs or utilize technology that will kill mold spores or germs.
Tip: We recommend a purifier with a HEPA filter using an additive such as silver ion threads woven into the filter to kill microbes.
- Odor, Smoke and Chemicals. This category of concerns requires a specialized approach, since a HEPA filter doesn't address them directly. We carry a number of units that use activated carbon and other filter additives that have been tailored to remove odors or neutralize chemicals.
Tip: We recommend one of our purifiers built to deal with very specific concerns such as tobacco smoke or formaldehyde. Browse air purifiers by concern or call our Product Experts at 800-334-1494
- Asthma, COPD and other respiratory concerns. The list of specific concerns that air purifiers can help with goes on and on. If you know what triggers your symptoms, search our air purifiers by specific concern.
Tip: We recommend one of our purifiers built to deal with specific concerns such as COPD, chemicals or smoke. Browse air purifiers by concern or call our Product Experts at 800-334-1494