How Air Purifiers Can Remove Pet Odors & Allergies
We love our pets, but sometimes our four-legged friends can cause havoc with indoor air quality. Particles like pet dander can be as small as 0.3 microns and may cause allergies and unpleasant odor.
|Allergies to dogs or cats occur in approximately 15% of the population||
The total pet population of the U.S. is more than 100 million, or about four pets for every 10 people
The main trigger of allergies to animals is their dander, or dead skin, that flakes off
Instead of sneezing, your dog may be telling you he or she has allergies by itching
Pets and Indoor Air
According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, allergies to dogs or cats occur in approximately 15% of the population. Most people that suffer from pet allergies often have other mild or moderate allergies to pollens or molds.
- pet dander (dead skin)
*Pet hair itself is not an allergen although It can collect dander. It also harbors other allergens like dust and pollen.
- Itchy eyes
- Runny nose
- Asthma symptoms
- Red itchy skin
- Increased incidence of 'colds'
Tips for living with pets
- Avoid contact with cats, dogs, and their dander, and have pets that do not have fur or feathers
- Keeping your pets out of the bedrooms
- Invest in a HEPA air purifier
- Close the ducts to the bedrooms and use electric heaters
- Change your home HVAC filters often
- Clean and vacuum regularly
- Bathe your pet weekly
- Do not allow your pet on the furniture
- Do not allow your pet in your car. (Or use car seat covers when your pet is in the car.)
- Brush your pet frequently and do it outside. You can also use an allergy-reducing spray such as Allerpet
- Keep your pet's skin healthy by feeding a good multivitamin and a fatty acid supplement
- Encourage the pet to spend more time outdoors
- Wash your hands after handling the pet, his toys, or bed
- Talk to your physician about possible immunotherapy or medications
- Remove textiles that trap pet dander, such as a dog bed or carpet. If you must have carpet, select ones with a low pile and steam clean them frequently.